A few years earlier, in the lavish office of the mayor of Sanbornia — now a lord — two men were engaged in an important yet simultaneously meaningless conversation, in which the trivial personal was intertwined with the significant global. The musical accompaniment was provided by the crackling of a fireplace, cozy in this cold time of year, and their companions were glasses of red wine, whose scarlet color shimmered pleasantly in the firelight.
- From this it follows that you are a child of the Raven of Dawn, friend?
- Yep. - The gaze of the young warrior's blue eyes combined chronic fatigue, exclusive kindness, and veiled madness, but behind the veil of mystery and the aura of indifference, hidden from the eyes of those around him, lay an all-consuming sensuality that made the golden-haired man ready to fall apart into atoms even in the next moment, rendering his appearance ephemeral.
- And yet, you were born in this world, so when did... Ah! - The lord of the new region was struck by a realization. - On that very day when Rumior betrayed Koimaji, right?
- Yes. How old was I then, seventeen or so? Even for the strongest warriors of Tezoth, returning alive from the depths of the middle lands is no trivial task; someone like me had no chance at all. The monsters of longing, vexation, and regret devoured me alive.
- And then?
- Then I woke up, and before me appeared a dark angel — Revaniel.
- One of the many masks of the Raven of Dawn... - Man of Sanbornia spoke as though he knew far more about this world than other lords of Tezoth. - A being equal to the other heirs of the Nine Obelisks. What merits earned you her interest?
- I think she saw the absurdity of my entire being and the foolishness of my soul. - The one who said these words did not change his expression, and it was clearly visible that he believed them. - Perhaps she decided I could entertain her.
- Mwahaha, do not be so hard on yourself, Eigen! All life is a game, and we are but absurd pieces in it! We get burned by painful mistakes, we flail about like a flag raised on a flagpole! And all of this — in attempts to understand the labyrinth that makes up the rules of her game!
- Perhaps... But if I had known what awaited me next, I would never have answered the treacherous call of that demon. How often have I regretted not abandoning this game earlier, before those crushing feelings invaded my soul and tore it to shreds.
- What terrible thing could have befallen you that surpassed the nightmare you endured in the Crater?
- Wanting nothing in life is a rather sad existence, but one can find some consolation in it — you want nothing and expect nothing, and so although you suffer, you do not suffer as much as you might, and you can accept life's troubles without being struck down by them. It was in precisely this state that I spent a significant portion of my existence after the "resurrection." What gave rise to it I cannot say for certain — perhaps the awareness of my nature being different from others, perhaps something else, but to be honest — I don't care. What is, is; digging into causes is as pointless as trying to overcome them.
- I fear I have slightly lost the thread of this epic. What exactly ruined your soul, then?
- I realized that passionately desiring something while knowing it is impossible to obtain is far worse.
- My dear friend, be so kind as to clothe your thoughts in forms more tangible to my mind. Would my assumption be correct that the flame of love has captured your melancholic mind?
- I loved her so much that I was ready to kiss the ground beneath her feet and, at a single word, find the highest peak of Tezoth and step off the edge toward a rendezvous with gravity. - Placing his palm over his own eyes, the golden-haired man tilted his head back, hiding the few tears that had nonetheless surfaced. - Every moment I spent with her was happiness, and every instant of separation — hell.
- Oh madness, appearing in the guise of my friend! In plain terms, you simply went f*cking crazy! No negativity intended.
- Hahaha... Ahaha...
- Mwahahahaa!
- Haa... I myself don't fully understand how I ended up like this.
- So what treacheries of fate prevented you from making her yours?
- I would like her to be happy, and I crave not only her herself but also her reciprocated feelings, which is impossible.
- Hmm. Has your gaze truly remained cold to all the beautiful stars in this wide sky? - The Lord of Sanbornia picked up a cigar, unwrapped it, beheaded it with a guillotine, and lit it with practiced finger movements. Soon the room filled with the noble aroma of quality tobacco. - I am certain that finding one who would allow you to experience the delights of a sweet romance, you would sooner or later manage — you undoubtedly have good qualities and potential for it.
- Don't you understand? Romance as a concept doesn't interest me; I need only her. Even if she were crooked, lopsided, insane, anything at all, even if she smelled like a dumpster — it doesn't matter. I crave the attention of that one single person and want to give myself entirely to her. I would rather than possess any stars whatsoever be her second, third, backup option, just a friend, a slave for heaven's sake — anything at all, but only not be forgotten by her. I don't mind being deceived and betrayed by her time and again. Anything is better than being nobody.
- Indeed. Looking at your dejected face and recalling persons such as Heel, Loyalty, Bliss, and the penultimate Deus, one cannot help but fall into reflection... Are all men of Tezoth mired in moral poverty? However, I think it is precisely this quality that makes you the best of men for this path... Will you take upon yourself the burden of being my knight, Eigen?
12.06.297
The Knight of the Sun stood on the scales of his riding dragon and serenely gazed upon the night-time Tezoth. Kurokai — as the noble animal, endowed with snow-white scales and eyes azure as the sea, was called — was his faithful companion, distinguished by its relatively small size compared to others of its kind, but very fast speed, endurance, and maneuverability. The members of the coalition standing behind the knight were certain that only this pair alone could handle the appetizer of the upcoming undertaking.
In his hand were a latte glass taken in Makiata and a cigarette — he never smoked, but on this day he decided to try — why not? His body bore numerous tattoos — he would never have thought of spoiling (as he considered it) his own skin, but they had been applied by the mistress of his heart, and so no better use could be found.
- Well then, partner, ready to head with me straight into Hell? With the king of that desert country from the past, you and I certainly can't compare, but let's not get too cocky, eh? For someone like me, this is a rare chance to leave beautifully, and a better one is unlikely to come along.
In response to these words, the dragon flicked its tail in displeasure and performed a barrel roll, nearly causing the knight to lose his balance and fall from its back.
- Buddy, do you think I don't understand? - Over the long years of their acquaintance, the rider had learned to understand this animal. - I have absolutely no desire for my story to end prematurely. There is so much that can still be done and experienced, but what can I do if I turned out to be made of crystal? When I go to sleep — I think of her, when I wake up — I think of her, and throughout the entire day my mind holds only her and all the little that binds us. Over the long years, these feelings have devoured my entire insides from within, leaving only skin stretched over a bare skeleton. Perhaps that is precisely what makes me a false knight. Where others dream of achieving something significant, I desire nothing more than to be part of her life, even the most insignificant part. Let others perform feats, conquer kingdoms, overthrow gods.
Kurokai turned its head to the side and closed its eyelids, showing disapproval of what it had heard.
- You got unlucky with a partner, didn't you? Alright, it's time for us to get to work.
The first stop of the Knight of the Sun and Kurokai was Dentsets: using sleep bombs — an invention of Stratos Genburry, based on the sleep-herb from Ofdrim — he incapacitated the inhabitants of the lord's estate, left a letter addressed to milord Richard, loaded onto the back of his scaly partner first the ruler of these lands, and then her lover unknown to him, after which he flew away with them very, very far... To where the events awaiting Tezoth would not touch them.
- Ahahahahahahaha...
The knight's last glance directed at the face of the woman who had captured his heart expressed a bouquet of various emotions. Leaving them in safety, he flew away.
The second stop was Sumika in Faredjia, where he received a mysterious large-sized device from the lord of those lands.
- Will it definitely work? - The knight had no idea about the structure of his cargo and knew only of the need to press the red button at the right moment.
- By my estimates, the chance of success is 85.666%. Enriched Ikazkanium is unstable; the probability of no reaction is possible.
To procure the materials needed for this device, the knights of Revnland and Faredjia labored, and the idea itself was suggested to Stratos by the Man born in Margel — he himself was not a scientist, but he knew much that helped the local lord gain understanding of a myriad of things.
- Good enough. Better than a 0.000% chance of...
- ?
- Ah, never mind, talking to you is like talking to a wall anyway.
Stratos said nothing in response, tactically deciding not to trigger the man on whom the success of the upcoming operation depended.
- Alright, let's fly.
And they flew — toward Margel, which was flying over Tezoth today.
On approach to the floating city, the pair was met by infinitely sharp blades of light, resembling perfectly straight threads; strange oblong tin cans flew in them, with hot flames visible from their rear ends — upon closing in, they exploded; around them hovered small constructs made of light metal that showed aggression... But they, though heavily wounded, overcame all obstacles, successfully reaching the very heart of the ancient city. In attempts to prevent the tragedy, local warriors, priests, and mages rushed toward them in haste, but it was already too late — with one hand stroking his partner's head, with the other its rider pressed the button — and over the night-time Tezoth, an artificial sun temporarily arose.
- Mwahahahahahaha!!! How do you like this Dawn, Revaniel?! - Watching what had happened from the saddle of his wyvern, the Lord of Sanbornia was in complete ecstasy. - You did it, my knight! You truly reached the heavens! Today you have surpassed all my expectations and truly lived up to the title given to you, O Knight of the Sun! May your troubled spirit now find peace! Farewell, my dear friend!
Margel fell between Fairium and Gemstone — and it was precisely there that Man headed. Both cities were completely destroyed, but the shockwave affected nearly the entire region. Covering the distance at great speed and rapidly approaching his goal, the rider began to feel his flesh being destroyed and transformed, but by the power of his immense spirit he brought his own organism under control.
- A side reaction of the radiation, evidently! Hmm, so Albus has come to an end.
Casting aside unnecessary thoughts, the Lord of Sanbornia closed in on the only one who had managed to survive the fall — the daughter of the goddess of light, in whose eyes could be read only a lack of understanding of what had happened.

- I have won.